Wall Street Wonderland

The good, the bad and the unspeakably ugly and everything in between, so help us!

Monday, September 18, 2006

9/18 Craiglistspotting: Some schmucks don't know when to can it!

From 9/18 CraiglistSpotting:

Financial Scientist Seeking Whip-Smart, Feminine Counterpart (Midtown) 36yr

Synopsis -- Uncommonly bright (former MIT faculty) yet boyishly playful SWM seeks the companionship of a great conversationalist, reasonably attractive.

As for me, resume like stuff -- from my initial graduate work in physics to my follow-on career as in academic computer science and statistics at MIT to a recent stint as the one man research wing at a Chicago-based options trading firm to my current move to Manhattan to continue my financial investigations at a very major hedge fund, my world has alway spun around both boons and bugaboos of statistical reasoning, foundations of knowledge and mind, and the limits of reason. :-) If you like mathematical machinations, you may like me.

Hmm. A random values paragraph. It's ok if you aren't a scientist, mathematician, or philospher. It's more important to have what I've lately been calling "forensic impulses" (in homage-mockery of Pinker's Language Instinct). I.e., you believe that definite progress towards better answers does matter, even if it is often hard and ever unfinished, that being systematic aids in this project, that arguments are more than just amorphous bags of opinions and intuitions, and that "meaning" derives from a system of beliefs, and revisable beliefs inform revisable meanings, and that meaningless, useless, or otherwise evidentially disconnected constructs like Gods, imaginary friends, and the like should go (or at least not be granted more seriousness than perhaps interesting fiction or portholes into human psychology). All this can perhaps be usefully abbreviated to "getting to the bottom of things jazzes you and you have some reasonable philosophy for doing so", but I do like to be a little more specific. :-) If you can't handle such specificity, you won't like me. Also, whether you actually succeed at it or not, you should at least value applying these ideas in daily life, not jumping to and acting on very weakly substantiated inferences. Defending rash behavior as the rightful province of women will not garner my good graces. There is just no need for a manufactured crisis due to lack communication. Life is too short. What might you expect from me besides probing conversations about both lofty and everyday topics or often connections between the two? Depending on your mood, I can give you artsy or cheesy movie recommendations, refreshers or primers in math/physics/philosophy/computers/finance, a quality rubdown on a nice massage table, or a few hours of dinner conversation during which I will make you laugh, listen attentively to everything you say, and generally make you feel more well-understood than you are accustomed. I'm not much of a "bad boy". So, if mistreatment, the looming threat thereof (or mistreatment of others making you special) gets your motor running, just keep on driving. I give a lot, but I expect to get a lot back, too.

Sense of humor-wise and fun-style...I lean toward zany social commentary or self-referential (between us) over dry wit, though I am good with words and word play. You might still kick my ass at Scrabble. I'm understanding, communicative, emotionally available, open, and intuitive. I've recently taken spontaneous trips to Europe, the Caribbean, SF bay, and such. I'm playful. I might do a ju jitsu roll in the middle of a sidewalk in Rome (look out, pedestrians!) or give you a spontaneous piggy back ride in a field of snow. I'm 36, 5'8", 200, muscular (broad back, big shoulders, big chest -- an unlikely frame for my mind), Italian-Irish, dark hair and brown eyes. More pics available on request/receipt of your pics. Relationship goals. While I appreciate casual situations as an occasional psychological need and a necessary starting point of more serious affairs, my nature leans toward pair bonding and longer term romances. This is not accidental, but tied with my broader psychology. I've a strong adaptive streak in me that winds up having me attuned to a few select people in my life, and if there's a good connection I do tend to become commitment-thinking...not afraid at all. I've dated women more than 10 years my junior. Age has never been as much an issue with me as core personality.

Hobbies and activities. I also like bicycling, hiking, swimming, traveling, book browsing, shooting pool, card games, movies, really good TV (but I don't own one), etc. If you liked biking, it would be great to have company on some 20..60 mile bike rides come Springtime. Walking and talking are the best, though. Inspiration from nice environments is great, but superfluous with good matches [ at least initially ]. A good match should make for a lovely experiential partner, trusting and sharing the many facets of life. You should at least share some interests or meta-interest/intellectual style aspects so that our conversations can be, well, "pointful". And without conversation where would we be?

That's all for now. Write and ask me anything. Many women on Craigslist ostensibly desire successful, intelligent, caring men. Ante up! I'm pretty new to The City and will need a good guide...pic4pic and

all that...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home